[LMB] OT: Chick-fil-A

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Thu Aug 2 06:18:08 BST 2012

Quoting Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>:

> As for same sex marriages:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage#History
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_same-sex_unions
>
> "A law in the Theodosian Code (C. Th. 9.7.3) was issued in 342 AD by the
> Christian emperors Constantius II and Constans, which prohibited
> same-sex marriage in ancient Rome and ordered that those who were so
> married were to be executed."
>
> seems particularly telling, since one usually bans things that are
> happening.

OTOH, when the Emperor Nero married a young boy that he'd tried to
turn into a girl via primitive surgery (and I do not want to THINK
about what that would have entailed!) the Romans were horrified...and
joked bitterly about how much better off Rome would have been if his
father had only married such a bride.  (Personally, I'd marry an
orangutan before I even considered marrying someone like Agrippina the
Younger, Nero's horrible, awful, worse-than-Sirius-Black's-mother
mother, but that's just me.)

Later on, he "married" another man, in the role of the bride...and
imitated a young woman's cries on defloration on their wedding night.
And the jokes flew, thick and fast.

It _may have happened,_ but it was by no means common, at least not
unless the histories I have are incomplete.

  --Eric, Roman-civilization buff