[LMB] OT: Chick-fil-A

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat Aug 4 01:05:22 BST 2012

Paula Lieberman scripsit:

> “We, the People of the United States of America, in order to form
> a more perfect union... promote the domestic harmony....”  (from
> memory, so that last phrase may be slightly off....)

Yes, that's the Constitution.  "Promote the general welfare".

> The Declaration of Independence is a more basic document which created
> the USA.

Not at all.  It was a general declaration by all the colonies that they
were no longer subject to Great Britain and its king.  It speaks of
"united colonies", but it means united in a common purpose, not by a
federal union of any sort.  Indeed, it says that the colonies are now
"free and independent states"; not only free from Britain, but from each
other as well.

See Michael Flynn's 1987 story "The Forest of Time", which is about an
American who blunders into an AU in which the colonies never federalized,
and are now fighting endless wars <http://notabenoid.com/book/14148/46258>

--
My confusion is rapidly waxing          John Cowan
For XML Schema's too taxing:            cowan at ccil.org
    I'd use DTDs                        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
    If they had local trees --
I think I best switch to RELAX NG.