[LMB] suffering servant

Elizabeth Stowe estowe427 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:07:11 GMT 2012

Beatrice Otter wrote:
Isaiah 53 is even more striking from a Christian perspective:
http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=221684894

As it happens, I don't see any parallel between Miles and the Suffereing
Servant.  Yes, they both suffer, but in *very* different ways.  The
Servant is a very passive figure, enduring what comes while trusting in
his final vindication.  Miles ... has not one ounce of passivity in
him at
all.  Really, does this sound like Miles? "He was oppressed, and he was
afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the
slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he
did
not open his mouth." (Isaiah 53:7)  Not to mention, the Servant suffers
because it is God's will.  That's ... not why Miles suffers.

ES: Interesting (another bit for my files).  Does it sound like
Cazaril to you?  While I agree with you concerning Miles,  an altered
definition does seem possible for many of LMB's characters. She does
use servants and, boy, do they suffer. The other type I know is the
Germanic faithful follower (Wyclaf to Beowulf as Robin to Batman). But
LMB's stories are about subordinates succeeding because of their
innate skills and integrity. Am I right?