[LMB] OT: Schooling - was Helicopter parents

beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com
Fri Feb 10 03:54:23 GMT 2012

Jacki wrote:
> This is another thing I find interesting. Can someone tell me how many
> weeks USian children actually spend at school? Your summer holidays
> seem enormously long*!
>
> Jacki in Canberra - whose children went back to school this Tuesday
> after their summer holidays
>
> *Australian kids have 4 terms of 10 weeks each, interspersed by 2 week
> breaks between terms 1,2 and 3 with more-or-less 6 weeks off at xmas.

The American school year is roughly September-May, with two weeks off at
Christmas and a few three and four day weekends here and there.  Some
regions start and finish earlier.

As to the camp thing: most summer camps are a week long.  But some kids go
to more than one.  For example, my kid brother spends a week at church
camp and a week at Boy Scout camp.

Beatrice Otter