[LMB] armsmen OT: Royal marriages

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Tue Feb 14 19:43:25 GMT 2012

At 10:43 PM 2/13/2012, Tony Zbaraschuk wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:32:16PM -0500, Paula Lieberman wrote:
>> Historically, there WERE cases of nullified marriages when someone married
>> without permission of their lords/masters/employers in places where the law
>> was that those people had the authority to allow or disallow marrying. Joan
>> of Kent's marital status was involved in such things, her first marriage she
>> was forced out of and married to someone else, then got the second marriage
>> nullified after some years of lawsuits... her third marriage was to  Edward
>> Plantagent the Black Prince... as opposed to "morganic marriages" where
>> there was a legal marriage of a royal with someone else who was ineligible
>> as a spouse to be a legal parent of an heir...
>
>Not necessarily royalty -- it was not at all unknown among Continental
>nobility.  Basically "wife but the kids aren't noble."  You don't hear
>much about it in English history because that was the default status
>(only one child inherited noble status, the rest were legally commoners).
>
>> Louis XIV's married someone I
>> can';t remember the name of, Madame de Maintenon was it? but the marriage
>> was a morganic one--had there been children, they would have been legal
>> offspring but barred from succession to the throne.  The situation with
>> George IV and "Mrs Fitzherbert" was more complicated--the Church of England
>> did not recognize the marriage as legal, despite the something like eight
>> children.  Instead, the future George IV was forced to marry a woman
>> eligible to be the mother of a royal heir, and effectively was a
>> bigamist--but that particular irregularity was outside the succession and
>> "legality" of his second marriage...

There were a couple of problems with Mrs. Fitzherbert.  She was Roman Catholic, and the marriage would not have had the approval of George III.  There was a marriage of sorts with the Prince of Wales, but it was never recognized by the Church of England, and Prinny was forced to marry a women whom he detested.

>And to think I actually read a book once extolling the wonderful status
>of George III as a father full of a household of devoted children.
>(There was something _very_ wrong with Hanoverian child-rearing
>practicese.  I am not sure what it was...)

I had always believed that Victoria was the last Hanoverian left when she became Queen, but not so:  Her father had been Heir Presumptive, and when he died, she was next in line as his only child, but her father also had younger brothers, at least one of whom had sons (and one of whom became the first King of Hanover).

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net