[LMB] OT: Fictional Electronic Obsolescence

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 00:06:55 GMT 2012

> From: Howard Brazee howard at brazee.netSnips
> I've never quite "gotten" cloud computing.   I do have some back-ups on the web, as well as on multiple computers and back-up drives.    And I understand but don't use services that hold my music library on the Web where I could access them from anywhere.   But to me it's cheaper to have more memory on my device than to have more 3G access.    I also have my own books and my own movies.   Those costs and benefits will change though.
>
> But I see that people and especially generations change.    New generations won't care whether they own a physical copy of a movie.   Not when they can watch that movie whenever and wherever they want.     People use Google and Amazon and everything else on the Web, despite giving those companies significant control over what you see.    So what if it knows you watch porn, or like SF or like turnips?     I see each generation moving more towards not caring about physical copies.   It's easier.

I think you're right about generational change. Different generations
 see the net differently. And the world, of course.

My grandmother saw two world wars, the Great Depression and early
 widowhood with three kids to raise. She recycled in a way that would
 put the most ferocious environmentalists today to shame. She saved
 food, she hid things for a rainy day - because she knew there would
 be a rainy day coming along.

Those of us who remember a world BC (Before Computers) have
survived all the crashes, the blackout that came just before we saved
two hour's work, the glitches and the day when we lost everything
because our computer blew up.

The kids who grew up with computers live their lives online, sharing
personal information in ways that astound me. They seem to have
total, and completely insane, trust of the net and everyone on it. They
trust the Cloud. Those of us who've lived through countless disasters
are just waiting for the world-wide scream of dismay when it all goes
horribly wrong.

Gwynne

PS - You know you're old when a teenager asks you what dial-up means.