[LMB] OT: vaccines, sherwooding

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 18:34:20 GMT 2012

GP> Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
GP> I went to Africa, and later to South America. I think I'm
GP> now immune to just about everything on the planet - what
GP> joy all those vaccinations were.

My first extended trip to Africa was in 1976.  NINE immunizations, one of which was a series of 3 over a 2 week period.  They hurt, too, because the molecules were so big.  The same trip today takes 3 shots.

And no more gamma globulin, hurray!  I used to need one of those for about 65% of the trips I took, meaning about once a year.  Now everyone can get the two-shot series against HepA and be done with it for decades if not forever.

HB> Howard asked about post-immunization observation:
A TB test requires active observation.  For the other childhood jabs we've gotten a generic warning about sore spots, fever, chills, and the remote-but-dire seizures, with instructions for palliatives and where the trigger lines are.

quietann> said the current shot sked is much heavier now:
So true!  I think the first dr's visit that didn't involve shots for my Littles was at age 3.  Age 4 made up for it, with 5 jabs.  Ouch!  Upon consideration, I will not ask for a more extended schedule for my soon-to-be 4 yo.  I think the marginal difference of 5 vs 3 jabs is small, but two sets of jabs will lead to twice as much unhappiness.

- Harimad