[LMB] superjumpers

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Feb 28 01:49:52 GMT 2012

On Feb 27, 2012, at 1:06 PM, Adam Ek wrote:

> With regular interstellar commerce I wonder if most ships are required
> to have transponders (locator beacons) like most modern aircraft have?

Transponders are useful when their communications are virtually instant - as on a planet.   If the vehicle is approaching us at a significant percentage of C, they might not be so useful.

> Military craft of course probably have the ability to turn them off
> (run silent).

So defenses need to be set up to find them.    But speed of light communications might still give people limited time to prepare.