[LMB] New worlds

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 1 06:20:57 BST 2012

> From: David Bernat <dbernat at gol.com>

> On 07/01/2012 06:18 AM, Michael Voss wrote:
> > I'm not familiar with this Cordelia reference, so maybe the
> > wording is more supportive of your argument, but I'm wary to
> > conclude that just because C thinks Sergyar would be better if
> > under Betan rule that Beta Colony must therefore have colonies
> > already. She could simply mean that Beta is better set up to
> > maintain a colony than Barrayar is, and possibly *because*
> > Beta is looking actively for suitable worlds? Damn my
> > memory, I just can't recall what else may have been said
> > in support of "unseen" Betan colonies...
> >
> If, if, if Beta wants colony worlds, then why did Barrayar retain
> Sergyar when Beta had just as good a claim?

Possibly...

Barrayar got there first, so it's the well-known 'bags I this planet'
claim (three days after the First Fleet arrived in Port Jackson, some
French ships sailed in to claim the place. If they'd had a slightly
faster breeze I'd be typing this in French now.)

Beta wasn't, officially, part of the war, they were supporting
Escobar. So the Escobarans were in charge of the negotiations
(why the Escobarans let Barrayar keep the planet is a whole
other question.)

The cunning Betans thought that colonising Sergyar would
keep the Barrayarans busy for a generation or so (correct,
as it turned out.)

Gwynne (who really wishes she could see those negotiations)