[LMB] Religion on Barrayar - now weather

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 19:42:43 BST 2012

On 7/8/2012 12:23 PM, Carol Cooper wrote:
> Cultural relativism at work again, I guess.  I remember when I first moved
> to Calgary.  My kids used to walk to school with the kids next door, and the
> first winter when we had our first dump of snow I offered to drive the kids
> to school.  My neighbour was baffled - why would I want to do that?  The
> kids all had snowsuits and winter boots, didn't they?  It was only -10C and
> a lovely sunny day?

I baffle people here in Connecticut. I grew up in western NY state where
back in the late 60s and early 70s it would start snowing around
Halloween, and melt around April and tended to be 10F or lower
consistently. Our local ice skating pond froze solid by the first or
second week of December.

I have a light windbreaker that is my winter coat. [I have a pumpkin
suit, Navy arctic survival suit that travels in my trunk in case I need
something zippier.] It is not unusual for me to nip out to the mailbox
in bare feet wearing a tshirt and shorts. I frequently drive around in
the winter with the heat off in the car.

AS far as I am concerned, they really don't have much in the way of
winter here. It rarely gets below 32F, snow tends to melt after it
drops, and frequently doesn't do more than flurry. It really peeves me,
because we have this drama queen weatherman in the mornings that
basically runs around screaming about black ice, slippery roads and all
sorts of danger to the point that a couple years ago the state
government threatened the TV station to get him under control but it is
to the point that if there is even a hint of snow, people slow down to
30 on the interstate. I joke that I love going back to western NY to
visit because people only slow down to 60 instead of 30.