[LMB] Betan Children

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Jul 9 14:24:32 BST 2012

On Jul 9, 2012, at 3:12 AM, A. Marina Fournier wrote:

> I've seen some cases get the death penalty where I believe that LW/OPoP is a more appropriate sentence. When CA abolished the death penalty in the 70's?, people like Charles Manson, as well as less scary people (many of whom got the death penalty for far too light a crime), were transitioned to having a parole hearing every 3-5 years. I'm sorry, criminals of that ilk, serial/gruesome or psychotic, shouldn't be getting parole hearings, due to the certain unliklihood that they'd ever qualify.

I was listening to a "This American Life" episode about unlikely events, and it followed someone who was getting paroled after 27 years in San Quentin.    He was aided by a court decision that a sentence that is given with the possibility of parole is a sentence given with the possibility of parole - which means that the original crime should not have a bearing with whether parole should be granted.   The original crime was  what set up the original sentence (including the possibility of parole).

So the original sentence might say "he's too dangerous to be offered the possibility of parole".   Or else, parole has to be based upon what happens after.