[LMB] SP: CVA and Old History

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Mon Jul 9 19:30:36 BST 2012

[and why can't I get the pretty colored lines other use to go into Thunderbird, my email client!}

Suzan said:

> So there's the letter documenting Prince Xav's normal conversation with Emperor Yuri
> on off-world weapons procurement. There is also the fact Yuri managed to kick the entrenched
>  (20 years!) invaders off of HIS planet. So he must have been effective as the Ceta's were
> /much, much**/better equipped.

Good point.  We still don't know the full story there, do we?  By which I mean even just "the full publically known story".

> Then in "Centaganda", Miles noted that the haut could drop you dead weeks later and no
> one would be able to tell they had done it due to their Bio Weapons. And in CVA we
> have a known haut bio-bunker on the planet. With a haut! with all her, er um, equipment!
> So if you're on the way out and off and you're the Ghem about to go home in lethal disgrace...
> Maybe *MAD* wasn't a natural thing but a bio contaminated unnatural revenge thing done *to* Yuri?

Woo!  What a cool idea!

> Insanity only also shows up on the Vorrutyers family and not in other closer related Vor blood
> lines.

As far as we know.  But. Yes.

> Followed up by Yuri's  own side that he had saved from disaster *killing* him after he was
> attacked by the enemy. "Barrayar eats it's children" indeed. Poor, poor Yuri!

Sacrificed for the sake of his planet.  Twice.

> If we take Yuri's madness as a caused event, then WOW oh WOW. Look how cleverly
> this is supported by all the books in the series. Was this deliberate on LMB's part?

Could be.  She thinks things through thoroughly. Not necessarily, but not unlikely.

> I suspect not but instead is the demonstrated effect of her ability to create
> something so cohesive on so many levels out of nothing (the Vorkoverse
> doesn't exist without her creation!).

Sometimes I have to remind myself of that.

> Obviously the brag necklace has stronger roots than I suspected. I also posit that the
>  length of existence and the strength of discussion of this list group is only positive
>  because the deep layers within LMB's works.

She raises questions that other books wouldn't.  And brings out the people who like to discuss them.

> (as I side note, since I'm new, has Yuri's madness as an artificial event been discussed on list before?)

Not that I've heard.

namaste,
Elizabeth

Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to azurite at rogers.com