[LMB] SP: Prole Oaths

T Neill t_neill at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 14 03:19:31 BST 2012

> I expect prole == non-Vor.

I agree.

> I'd be astonished if the other high
> offices don't have them (oaths),
> considering the importance the society puts
> on oaths.
> Karen Hunt

The customs and immigration man who deals with the Arqua infestation at the shuttle terminal asks Pidge if she is "Oathbound to practice Law on Barrayar" which undoubtedly means a prole offering oath.  Probably, however, to the count of the district, and thus to a Vor, though.

Also at the Shuttle terminal when Ivan takes custody of his plethora of in-laws, the immigration man says Ivan must give a spoken oath, "Given your rank".  So if the Arqua infestation were related as in-laws to a prole, the spoken oath would not be allowed, I'm guessing.  Maybe a signed document instead?

I agree that oaths would be required of, for examples of high office, Illyan and Allegre, both proles.  But that is to Gregor, a Vor.  Would proles offer oaths to Speakers (also proles)? But that would be for evidence and through the Speaker to the Count so again to a Vor.

So yes, I can't think of textev for prole-to-prole oaths outside of weddings either.

T Neill