[LMB] Ivan's Social Life, was Oh

Jacki Knight jacki at knightech.com.au
Tue Jul 17 09:49:06 BST 2012

On 17/07/2012, at 7:48 AM, Paula Lieberman wrote:
> Ivan perhaps was starting to feel left out with his buddies married
> or getting married and their lives outside the office revolving
> around married folks' foci and priorities... I remember a woman I
> knew whose husband was an Air Force major, who was married and had
> had children when her husband was in grad school before he wound up
> in the Air Force as a pilot (vietnam, draft, etc,, delayed
> enlistment, etc.). She said that she had teenagers to deal with
> while all the other women in the social circles she was the children
> of were in single digits, and focused on issues of babies in
> diapers, grade schoolers.... stages long past her preoccupation and
> attention, meaning that the support wasn;t there for her the way it
> was there for them, and that the foci of the group, were on concerns
> of people with children younger than hers.

My experience is the exact opposite. When all my friends were getting
married and having kids I was still single and relatively carefree. I
met my husband-to-be when I was 25, we started living together when I
wa 27 and married when I was 32. My children were born when I was 37
and 39 respectively - the eldest is only just a teenager now. And all
my friends are having grandchildren!! It's very weird-looking from my
perspective - how can my childhood friends be that old???

Jacki in Canberra - who doesn't think of herself as old, or old enough
to have grandchildren (although both my elder siblings have them!)