[LMB] Fw: [Consuite] The 101 Best Novels, 1985-2010

BlueRose stacey at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jul 17 10:51:10 BST 2012

On 17/07/2012 7:54 p.m., Gwynne Powell wrote:
> Same here. I've read few of them, liked some, hated at least one. And
> it's interesting how many on the list are the sort of books that leave
> you so depressed you want to slit your wrists. That doesn't mean
> they're badly written - often the reverse. But they're so dismal and
> miserable that you're left totally wrung out. That's fine some of the
> time, but I need some ray of light now and then, too. Gwynne (I want
> FUN, dammit. I've done my time with deep and meaningful. I can find
> meaning in fun, as well.)

As far as I can tell, the literary establishment requires their
'literature' to be compulsory dismal, miserable, slit your wrists to get
away from the horror that is the text and yes depressing. Literary
establishment wants the reader to suffer for their art. Glad I figured
it out early and went on to read stuff I enjoyed instead of what they
told me I should!

I had read about 20 books on the list but probably didnt finish a third
of those, and probably actually only enjoyed a handful.

Stacey - waaaay too much Steinbeck exposure  in highschool!