[LMB] my thoughts on CVA SP:

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Jul 18 13:36:11 BST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Gwynne Powell
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2012 08:02 AM
To: Lois Bujold List
Subject: [LMB] my thoughts on CVA SP:

PL:  Having known men who married women to e.g. get them the hell out of
Vietnam when the US was pulling, and NOT out of love, but out of,

"I like this woman, and and I don't want bad things to happen to her, and
bad things WILL happen to her if she stays in this part of the
world...marrying her I can get her out of here and to the USA where she can
build a new life/be safe.  She's not the woman I would marry given a free
choice and her not needing succor, but she's someone I life and respect and
I want her to survive, and marrying her, looks like the best/only option for
that.  I can deal with a suboptimal marriage, because it will keep her alive
and I like and can deal with her and I am the only source of rescue she
has."

my response is that the -matured- Ivan would indeed have married her even
without that initial attraction.  His thought processes were "how can I get
her out of this bad situation she's in?" and "I'm not married, if I marry
her, my status extends to her and -I- am the rescue vehicle for her. I'll do
it."

See, I don't think the Ivan of CVA is the self-service narcisstic jerk of
most of the earlier books he was in!  By CVA he's concerned and thinking
about and helping people who aren't only his relatives...

====================

Gwynne hd written:

Thoughts on Ivan's emotional growth:
(My take on it)

His first reaction to Tej is 'Ooooh boobies!' but he quickly becomes more
protective - he sees her as a damsel in distress needing his protection,
and he tries to provide it. She's not helpless, and he soon realises that,
but she and Rish are almost out of resources, have no allies, and are worn
out from their experiences (hmmm is Ivan the Jin to Tej's Miles?)

The big question - would he have thought of the whole marriage idea
if he hadn't already been attracted to her? Was his subconscious
signalling the way to go? He could have called in ImpSec, or Service
Security, he could have pulled half a dozen different scams to get
them safely out of that apartment and away from the authorities,
long enough for a new plan to evolve. But... he went to marriage.

And the two of them found that they liked each other. 'liked' sounds
so bland, but it's the same as Tej saying that Ivan is kind - such
simple, apparently unimportant things that actually underpin all the
bigger emotions. They like each other, they find such similarities in
the way they think and operate. They laugh together. They communicate
well, which is why Ivan feels so bereft when Tej's family take her
away from him. And they soon find that like - similarity - kindness -
laughter - trust - communication - really great sex - respect  ... all
of it and more ... adds up to love. They each have that moment when
they realise that their love and loyalty has changed.

Ivan doesn't tell Gregor about the tunnel, he goes down there with
Tej and her family - a HUGE moment. Tej stays with Ivan when her
family leave.
Yes, Ivan's grown. He doesn't try to fly under the radar any more,
he just flies, with Tej.

And he's far more at peace with himself by the end of the book.

Gwynne