[LMB] OT: Fantasy Fiction recommendations

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Wed Jul 25 05:01:48 BST 2012

Ana: Fantasy?

Fairies?

Holly Black:  YA fairies, start with Tithe.  Curse Workers, start with
White Cat.  Welcome to Bordertown, short stories set in a (gritty)
magical city, this is a revisit of a shared universe from the 'eighties;
you may remember it, I think it was created by Terri Windling.  This has
what I think is the best depiction of fairypunk in or out of print.

Emma Bull: War For the Oaks.
______

Another YA series:

Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare, start with Clockwork Angel.
Angelic people who act as policemen of the demonic.  Steampunkish and
creepy.  Is preceded by another series in a similar universe, Mortal
Instruments,  Start with City of Bones.  I have not read the latter, but
it's popular.

______

If you like techno-horror, the Laundry series by Charles Stross.  Math
and computers create magic.  These guys, a super secret part of the
British Government bureaucracy, with whom Bob Howard works, clean up
demonic entities from other dimensions, and suppress math progress in
order to keep the world safe.  Funny dry humor and lots of computer
nerdery.
______

Diana Wynne Jones, very sly books for children and adults.  The Tough
Guide to Fantasy is required reading, as is Dark Lord of Derkholm.  You
may know her from Howl's Moving Castle, the Miyazaki film.  It was based
on her book.
______

Manga?  Death Note.  Nana.  (Nana is not fantasy at all, but I like it.)

Anime?  Mushi Shi, Ghost in the Shell (futuristic dystopia), Black Butler.

Comics:  Girl Genius. Steampunk web comic, there are great trade
paperbacks of the whole thing.  Phil and Kaya Folio do this, and it's
awesome.  Buffy, season eight in trades, season nine in issues or
trades.  The Sandman, Neil Giaman, in trades. Seminal.

Games:  Munchkin Deluxe, by Steve Jackson.  Be the first to reach level
10.  Kick down the doors, fight the monster, grab the treasure, stab
your buddies in the back.  Fun, simple, hilarious, quick games (not
protracted 16-hour marathons).  Gloom, card game and role-playing.
Fairly fast, but you won't want to quit, the story-telling is the point
of it.
______

A few more suggestions.

Mark