[LMB] Medical history, was CVA Chapter 24

Ana A ana_a_ana at rocketmail.com
Wed Jul 25 18:01:16 BST 2012

----- Original Message -----

From: Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
<snip>
When I was about ten or so, I got sunstroke, very badly.
I was delirious, totally out of it, with a temperature that
was probably through the roof.

We were on the farm, some distance from any kind of
hospital. Fiercely hot. No kind of air conditioning, or
cooling. And it would be silly to waste time with doctors
and hospitals for something that was barely life-threatening.

No, my parents dealt with it the sensible way. They put me
in a darkened room, stripped me and covered me in strips
of brown paper dipped in vinegar.

Ahhh the good old days.
Gwynne
PS -  I still hate salt and vinegar chips.

ana: I've never heard of the 'vinegar and brown paper' treatment except in the Jack and Jill nursery rhyme!  Never thought it was what people actually did. Huh.  Interesting.