[LMB] Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 86, Issue 226

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Mon Jul 30 04:06:08 BST 2012

On 7/29/2012 11:58 AM, Janet Martin wrote:

> Thanks for that extra info, John. As point of fact, when I make gumbo, I take the time to develop a dark mahogany roux and add file. The flour, when cooked to that color, loses much of its thickening ability, but adds a read depth of flavor. I add okra just because I like it and it's as much a part of the traditional gumbo taste as the tomatoes, onions, and bell pepper.  I disagree about southerners and sweet cornbread. Folks who use boxed mixes end up with a sweet product, but it's only recently that I've found sweet cornbread either on the table of a real southerner or at a southern based restaurant.

It might help those who have trouble understanding the lack of sugar in
cornbread of southern origin to know that the South was at one time
extremely poor.  Sugar was not used at every meal, while corn frequently
was.  Certain ethnic groups have claimed a particular cuisine called
"soul food" as their own.  The origin of that cuisine was simply what
was available to poor folk of all ethnicities at the time.

Mark