[LMB] OT: Hunger Games - the Movie

Ed Burkhead ed at edburkhead.com
Sat Mar 24 12:53:55 GMT 2012

Agnes wrote:

	I have tried for a long time to figure out why I was able to enjoy
Coppola's questionable Dracula and then read Stocker's original with
pleasure, while reading Dracula first would have left me foaming at the
mouth in the theater.
	The fact that I don't really visualize what I read makes that really
strong preference especially peculiar -- the problem is *not* that the
visuals of the movie clash with the ones in my head.
	I don't get it. But doing movie first works for me. Try it ;)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I think Hunger Games is one where watching the movie first has no downside.
The movie is faithful to the book - more so than was Harry Potter or
Twilight.  The imagery in the movie is consistent with the book-imagery in
my mind - actually, somewhat better.

The book will be satisfying *after* the movie because the book is the
expanded, *full* story and is *much* richer than the movie, IMHO.

If you *have* read the book, don't fear the movie.

Now, if only there were a way to get THESE movie makers to do a REAL
rendition of _Starship_Troopers_ or _The_Moon_is_a_Harsh_Mistress or some of
the other really good SF books, . . . dream on!

Ed