[LMB] Non Vor Counts? Districts without Counts?

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Thu Oct 4 02:13:30 BST 2012

[LMB] Non Vor Counts? Districts without Counts?
T Neill t_neill at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 4 01:30:50 BST 2012

T Neill:  [tangent] And what's with Aral's vehemently hollering against
matrilinial inheritance?  Ivan is related to him through the maternal
line for gad's sake, and he doesn't reject *that* line of inheritance.
Yes, I have completely flip flopped from my previous stance on this.
[/tangent]

LMB:  Pure self-interest, fueled by well-tamped-down visceral terror.
Aral is whistling in the dark.  The theory is not supported by
Barrayaran historical precedent much at all, except occasionally when
someone with the bigger army argued it.  And Aral is no more consistent
about it than Barrayaran history is.

People learn not to point this out around him, however.  The response
(varied viz the context) is never good.

Ezar was of course keenly aware that if anyone else was going to forward
a claim to the camp stool through a maternal line (of which there are
several in Schrodinger's cat carrier), the shortest and most direct goes
right through Aral.  And the aspirants would have to, as well.  Not an
easy task.

Ta, L.