[LMB] Non Vor Counts? Districts without Counts?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 4 10:36:28 BST 2012

> From: Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Scott Washburn
> <scottwashburn at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I was rereading "Cetaganda" and I came across this scene:
> > "He [Miles] was making idle chit-chat with Vorreedi, reminiscing about
> > Keroslav District baking styles."
> > Keroslav District?
> > I thought all the districts were run/ruled by counts and that all counts
> > were Vor.

> All counts are Vor seems quite correct.  All districts are run by
> counts, as well.  All districts, however, don't seem to be necessarily
> named for their counts.
>
> Vordrozda, for example, is count of Lorimel (not sure of spelling,
> it's near the end of The Warrior's Apprentice).
>
> I believe there are others known to be not named for their counts, but
> I can't do hard thinking at the moment.  Likely districts with
> "distinctive" places in them get called according to those places, at
> least in the popular diction.  (Don't know if any counts are thus
> annoyed that they don't get to have people calling their districts by
> the "true" VorCountly name.
It's also possible that, during the Bloody Centuries, some Districts changed
hands a few times, and it was easier to identify the District by a city or
region, than by a family name that changed every few years.

And that could have led to two Districts led by Counts with the same
surname, too. So, again, they'd need a way to tell the districts apart.

Another possibility - Districts have an official name and a popular
name (e.g. New York and The Big Apple).

Gwynne