[LMB] preparing for volcanoes, now OT: AKICOTL:

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Fri Apr 5 18:56:04 BST 2013

Quoting Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>:

> I'd like to see governments put strict limitations about what can be
>  in a flood plain.    And then allow the farmland to flood and renew
>  itself.    There are places such as the boot heel of Missouri where
>  one side of the river is diked, making the floods on the other side
>  worse.    Governments should not be insurance when we choose to
> build cities and factories on prime farmland.

During the flooding of 1993 and 2008 here in Iowa, it was pointed out
that the areas having a lot of trouble _were_ flood plains...it was
just that they hadn't had floods since the area was settled, for the
most part, and people had forgotten that simple fact.

The town I live in is mainly built on bluffs far above the river, and
the river itself is kept artificially high by the dam.  Other than wet
basements, we had no trouble here.