[LMB] OT:free spirit, wanderer, wild woods man, often former military man

Elizabeth Stowe estowe427 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 02:12:47 BST 2013

For a story about roustabouts in man camps in Williston, ND, I'm
trying to capture the right character: around 28 years old, male, no
ties to anyone or any place, who enjoys camping, being free in the wild.
I've met guys like this, especially in Alaska, who like to be outdoors
and independent. Often they're former military guys.

What I don't understand is their willingness to work for major oil
(and, formerly, logging) companies, the US government, and companies
that are essentially using them for their youth and physical
strength.   They often work long hours, live in camps, receive few
benefits.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Can you explain why they work
for huge companies or consortiums?

Thanks,
Elizabeth