[LMB] lusting after Aral

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Sun Apr 14 03:15:31 BST 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 08:27:36PM -0500, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
> LMB:  This trend has been noted by others, but I would offer as a
> counter-example Beatrice from _Much Ado About Nothing_, the product,
> certainly, of a male pen, if not necessarily a purely "male" gaze --
> Shakespeare didn't get to be a classic by being unable to perceive or
> comprehend half the human condition.  What man would not prefer the
> fiery, witty Beatrice to the vapid Hero?

Claudio, perhaps.  (But is it Hero that he wants, or something else of
which she might be the symbol or vehicle?)

Though I would much rather be a partner with someone who could surprise
me in a good way, laugh and joke and tell me things I never knew
(and vice versa).

Tony Zbaraschuk

--
There is a reason most German philosophy scholarship consists of
trying to parse what German philosophers actually meant.