[LMB] CVA - Chapter Twenty-One

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Sun Apr 14 16:46:40 BST 2013

On Apr 14, 2013, at 12:46 AM, Gwynne Powell wrote:

>> From: Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz at gmail.com>
>
>> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> It's interesting that Ivan takes most interest in the seal daggers, such
>>> a definitively Barrayaran item.
>
>> It seems to be aligned with his collecting, while a youth, the banners
>> of all the districts (TWA, when Miles remarks that some Betans trawl
>> the spaceport hunting for galactics in the same way).
>

> I'm interested in the terms used: …it was like a
> roll-call of the old Council of Counts. “It’s a complete set.
> A complete set of seal-daggers from all sixty Counts-palatine in existence a
> hundred years back.”
>
> ... so, the OLD Council of Counts? All sixty counts who were in
> existence a century before? Does that mean that sixty stays constant,
> but the actual surnames change?

If Count's choice goes to a son-in-law (or perhaps daughter's son), the surname could easily change.

You must had missed the discussion last year. Wikipedia has two articles of interest. The first is on counts palatine in general: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_palatine>. But what I think is meant is the English usage as shown in <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_palatine>.

Robert A. Woodward - robertaw at drizzle.com