[LMB] lusting after Aral

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 00:42:44 BST 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Rachel <anglerfish at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also imagine Cordelia as more beautiful than Elli. I think of Elena as
> prettier, too. Why is that, when we are told straight up that Elli is
> objectively gorgeous?

Elli sees her appearance as something as a burden, or at least an
obstacle.  It's a sort of mathematical perfection - rather bland, although
we're told it still looks like 'her'.  Elena has an unusual facial
structure that is transmuted into beauty - it has personality and
individuality rather than standardized perfection.  And it's Cordelia's
mind animating her face that gives her loveliness, like light on water.
Without her personality animating it (something like the effect with Miles,
actually) her features are seemingly plain, not especially beautiful.

I suspect it's the attitude of the characters to Elli's appearance that's
responsible for your inner imagining of her - it's not presented as an
advantage.

Matt G.