[LMB] OT: Place Names ... In Space!

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Dec 6 23:55:13 GMT 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Peter Granzeau <pgranzeau at cox.net> wrote:

> At 05:28 PM 12/5/2013, you wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 21:07:43 -0600, Jim Parish <jparish at siue.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >Gwynne Powell mused:
>> >
>> >Well, there's always Cordwainer Smith's Nostrilia, in the novel of that
>> >name. (It's derived from "North Australia", if I recall correctly.)
>>
>> *New* Australia, IIRC.
>>

> Sorry.  "Old North Australia".  I looked it up.

Thinking about new planets and places names I wonder what people do with
"New."

What would people name a city named after New York?

New New York?
New York 2 or New York II?
Newer York?
New York Jr.?

Or, I've heard that some place names get the same name but in a foreign
language resulting in some places named River Ford Ford (after translation
into English).

So maybe it'd be
*новый*<http://en.bab.la/dictionary/russian-english/%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B9>New
York