[LMB] OT: freedom of choice (was: birth control)

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Thu Jan 17 21:12:21 GMT 2013

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
> (Who probably shouldn't go into her speculation of how to eliminate rape as a
> human behavior using the same methods farmers did to eradicate sheep-killing,
> another instinctive behavior previously heavily rewarded by evolution, from
> dog breeds.  Possibly better to wait for the shortcuts supplied by genetic
> engineering for that one...)

Since rape has been shown to be primarily a crime of violence, not sex, I
would think that selecting for reduced tendency to violence -- as well
against psychopathy -- would be the most effectve evolutionary tactic.

But, besides disliking capital punishment
a) many rapists have already spawned before being convicted, and I cannot
imagine killing young children
b) the prevalence of rape is so strongly related to cultural issues and
norms that I think it's far more effective to prevent it with "No means
no" campaigns etc. (as well as appropriate punishments for rapists)

There has been some interesting speculation lately about whether the
banning of leaded gasoline (and other sources of lead in the environment
like pant) may have led to the major drop nin violence crime seen in the
last 20 yhears. Would that relate to rape as well?

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"To fear is one thing. To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around
is another." - Katherine Paterson, Jacob I Have Loved