[LMB] villains

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri May 10 16:46:44 BST 2013

Ooh... good arguments all 'round.

I would like to emphasize that there's a distinction between an antagonist
- who opposes and/or rivals the protagonist - and a villain.  A villain can
BE a protagonist - and certainly characters don't need to be antagonists to
be villainous.  Think MacBeth - the villain in that play IS the
protagonist, along with his wife, whose urges and abets him towards what
both characters perceive as being in his interests.

It's also possible for a character to be a villain in part, or temporarily,
while not being one in a greater context.

I can think of some Vorkosigverse examples, but I'll wait until each comes
up in discussion.

Matt G.