[LMB] villains

Manya thebluejay at gmail.com
Sat May 11 05:32:42 BST 2013

My head-canon is that there were, in fact, things going wrong with Yuri
long before the massacre, and that no one noticed, or if they noticed, they
excused it, or explained it to themselves, or couldn't do anything about
it. Later, the little signals became unimportant, because the massacre
eclipsed them. Most of what we know about the massacre comes ultimately
from Aral, who has perfectly understandable reasons to focus on the
massacre. Even if he knows everything there is to know (he might not - he
was, after all, still a child at the time) it wouldn't necessarily come up
in conversation "in our hearing", so to speak.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Reading what Tony Z wrote while I was typing:
I do like the idea that he simply never got used to peacetime. It's only
one step from killing Cetagandan bastard babies to killing Barrayaran
children born uncomfortably close to the camp-stool that might grow up to
plot. And good catch on the other alarming things he did, besides the
massacre.