[LMB] villains

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at gmail.com
Sat May 11 15:52:39 BST 2013

On May 11, 2013 7:35 AM, "Michael R N Dolbear" <m.dolbear at lineone.net>
wrote:

> > From: Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
> > Date: 11 May 2013 01:50
> >
> > One of the things I love about Shards is that it's not always
> > easy to decide where the 'villain' labels go. Most especially
> > with Bothari, who qualifies as villain and hero.
>
> > Yuri qualifies as a villain, from the backstory. What happened
> > to Yuri to turn him so evil? Xav's letter that we see in CVA is
> > comfortable, even fond. It suggests a good relationship, but a
> > few years later Yuri sends death squads after Xav and all of
> > his family.  Yuri was a brave war hero, he seems to have been
> > a reasonable emperor - the only bad act we hear about is the
> > massacre of his family.
>
> You forget his 'defenestration of the Privy Council'
>
> Does his support of the Mad Architect count

As for Dono the increasingly disturbed (love that line), he may have been
insane, but he was a competent architect. The hanging of the construction
boss was a result of the use of substandard materials as a cost-cutting
measure that resulted in several deaths. When compared to other Barrayaran
forms of execution, I'd say they went easy on him...

--
Jeff Shultz