[LMB] The next villains

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri May 17 19:09:24 BST 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 08:27:05AM -0700, Elizabeth Holden wrote:

> > And there's a few choice ones there.?

> - Elena Visconti. ?I know, like Howard said, she's a person who is so
> three-dimensional, and we know so much about her situation, it's
> impossible not to feel sympathy for. ?But in a spirit of revenge she
> illegally shot and killed a repentant man who was loved by our hero,
> who had committed no crime for two decades, and who had already paid
> the legal price. (At least by Vorkosigan law/fiat.)

So, Elena is a villain for taking revenge on her apparently unpunished
rapist, but Ezar is not a villain for murdering thousands of Barrayarans
and Escobarrans so as to give his criminal son an honorable death?

> I don't think "allowed" is the right word. ?Or, rather, the only way
> he could prevent it would be to arrest Serg, expose his crimes
> publicly, disgacing the royal family, offending the War Party, and
> probably causing a civil war. ?As long as Serg was free, he was
> bellicose and leading the War Party.

And what's wrong with arresting Serg and exposing his crimes?  Why is
that off the table?

Think of the justice that Ezar denied the families of Serg's victims.

How many women suffered or died so Ezar's family wouldn't be disgraced?

And this is not villainy?

> And be cause he was trying to minimize suffering and death and danger to Barrayar as much as he could.

And give his son an 'honorable' death.  That was an explicit goal.  What
options would have opened up had it not been?

-xx- Damien X-)