[LMB] Colonial Comparisons (Was: the plotters of Komarr)

H. Torrance Griffin htgriffin at yahoo.com
Fri May 24 02:06:59 BST 2013

This comparison has it's limits.  Surrendering Komarr would be less like giving up on the Suez Canal and more like London surrendering every port (and airport) for good.  The cost/benefit analysis changes considerably.

As an aside, France's big problem with absorbing Algeria was (not surprisingly) taking well over a century to seriously consider granting the Algerians the full rights of citizens (toss the legal distinctions between the local populace and the Colons as late as the 1940s and the place would have had a better than even chance of the place ending up as french as Corsica by now).  Barrayar is progressing far faster on that front, and frankly was never as bad.