[LMB] Villainous Barrayar

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Fri May 24 15:41:39 BST 2013

Barrayar was not yet fully industrialized, though it was doing so rapidly. In many areas. the resources were not there - yet. In the Caravanserai and in some of the Districts, the will was not there yet, either, because the heads of those in power were still in the old, feudal, "masterless men are criminal scum" mindset for the city and "the peasants have always lived this way and are perfectly happy" for the back country.

And - as Chekov's plays have shown - often enough, the people in the back country shared that mindset in real life.

"Developed" is a term meaning many things, but industrialization is at the root of it.