[LMB] Sergyar

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun May 26 00:20:57 BST 2013

> From: Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>

Snipped a lot of stuff which comes down to personal interpretations,
which have been discussed clearly enough by now....

Damien:
> > > But Sergyar is the personal property of the Emperor.  Will Gregor's son
> > > or grandson be able to let go?

Gwynne:
> > Depends - is it the property of the Emperor, or of Count Vorbarra?
> > A fine line, but a hugely important one.

Damien:
> I'm not sure what difference that makes here.

Gwynne:
It makes a crucial difference. If Sergyar, and/or the South Continent,
are the personal property of Count Vorbarra, then if the Barrayaran
government format changes they could remain the property of
Gregor, or his heirs. If they're the property of the Emperor, then if
the Empire becomes a republic or whatever, Sergyar and the South
Continent become the property of the nation.

And if Sergyar then made a grab for independence, as personal
property of Count Vorbarra the forces that could be brought to
bear on them are different to those that would stop a planet
seceding from the then Republic. In fact, a new republic might
even stand by and let it happen.

It's the sort of question that would keep lawyers and accountants
happy for years.

Gwynne