[LMB] OT: Interesting

William A Wenrich wawenri at msn.com
Tue May 28 02:35:00 BST 2013

I ran across this recently (while wasting time at TV Tropes). Matt Ridley's
idea is not just ideas getting together but, by exchanging goods and
services, we as a species use competitive advantage to force "Ideas to have
sex and combine."

Speakers <http://www.ted.com/speakers/browse>  Matt Ridley: Rational
optimist

Matt Ridley argues that, through history, the engine of human progress and
prosperity has been, and is, "ideas having sex with each other."

Why you should listen to him:

British author Matt Ridley knows one thing: Through history, the engine of
human progress and prosperity has been, and is, the mating of ideas. The
sophistication of the modern world, says Ridley, lies not in individual
intelligence or imagination; it is a collective enterprise. In his book
<http://www.rationaloptimist.com/> The Rational Optimist, Ridley (whose
previous works include Genome and Nature via Nurture) sweeps the entire arc
of human history to powerfully argue that "prosperity comes from everybody
working for everybody else."

It is our habit of trade, idea-sharing and specialization that has created
the collective brain which set human living standards on a rising trend.
This, he says, "holds out hope that the human race will prosper mightily in
the years ahead -- because ideas are having sex with each other as never
before."

Watch his 2010 TEDTalk,
<http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/matt_ridley_when_ideas_have_sex.html>
"When Ideas Have Sex."

"Ridley systematically builds a case through copious data and countless
studies that "the vast majority of people are much better fed, much better
sheltered, much better entertained, much better protected against disease
and much more likely to live to old age than their ancestors have ever
been.""

Scientific American

William A Wenrich

Christian, husband, father, grandfather, son, American. Here I stand. I can
do no other. God Help me!