[LMB] Gender equality and genetic predispositions, was School Is no Place for a Reader OT:

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Sun Sep 1 16:15:49 BST 2013

I think that woman at the bottom end get more social support than men--there
are women out on the street, but:
o many of the male homeless are veterans, there are a lot more male veterans
than female veterans.  I wonder what the ratio would be, normalized for age
and service records (that is, over time there are more women in the military
percentagewise than formerly.   If you have a military which is 95% male,
then by pure statistics 95% of the veterans homeless of the streets are
going to be male.  If most of that is the result of PTSD from combat, the
percentage of male veterans out of the street will  be even higher...)
o Most women aren't perceived as violent threats and rejected by
friends/family as such, to find shelter without support
o I suspect that Society is more willing to reach out to women to provide
shelter, for a number of reasons not only "smaller and less physically
intimidating" and less likely to be a rapist threat, but also socialization.
There's I think a lot more public sentiment in favor of "Rosie's Place" and
the idea of sanctuary for women, than there is for succoring male lushes
o Men tend to be less willing to ask for help, even if it's just directions.
How much of this is cultural?