[LMB] Breaking Rigid Gender Roles, was School Is no Place for a Reader OT:

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 21:09:11 BST 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

>  ...  But
> when people are given freedom to move outside of those stereotypes, and
> even when they're actively encouraged to do so, they still generally choose
> in ways consistent with those stereotypes.  The more equal the sexes are
> legally and in regards to status, the more reliably unequal their life
> choices become.
>
> Matt "there will never be a lot of male nurses" G.
> --

When "People" see that 'people like me' aren't in this field, they don't
hurry to be the first.

Its the butterfly effect - a cloud of butterflies hovers over the garden.
As soon as one alights on a flower, a few more join - but no one wants to
be the first.

Because everyone remembers the schoolyard bullies, where standing out and
being different make you a pink monkey.