[LMB] Gender equality and genetic predispositions

Rachel anglerfish at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 14:48:59 BST 2013

I guess I'm sitting in the middle here between Paula and Matt. There are
biological differences between men and women. Particularly, there are
hormonal differences that very likely end up influencing career selection
in men and women such that *on average* there are more women in more
nurture-focussed professions, etc. (With the recognition, of course, that
this doesn't preclude individual women from being less interested in those
positions and vice versa for men yadda yadda individual differences in
biology and experience.)

I guess my question for Matt is: You say "when issues of pay and social
status are no longer a factor". Where is that? When are those things no
longer a factor? These days there is *technical* equality in some places,
but I wouldn't say that social status is no longer a factor for men who
wish to become, for example, nurses. There is still huge social pressure on
girls to be girly. Possibly there's even MORE social pressure on men to be
manly. There are still differences in pay. It just seems to me that it's
still impossible to satisfactorily tease out the contributions of biology
vs the contributions of culture. The only place you can do that is with
newborn babies with experimenters that are truly blind to the babies' sex.
That's not very useful for learning about the effects of biology on career
choice.