[LMB] Gardening and Paladins

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Tue Sep 3 08:34:53 BST 2013

On 1 Sep 2013, at 09:10, Judy R. Johnson <jrj at fidalgo.net> wrote:
> Seriously, goats for brush clearing are a good idea, so long as you hire the
> expert goat herder along with them.

Sort of like having to have postilions/post-boys when you hired horses at several points during a long journey by carriage in England in centuries gone by, but you didn't have a choice about hiring the human.

> If you have a young relative who might be so inclined, suggest starting a business in your area:  "Have goats; will
> travel."  In crowded areas, the novice herder would perhaps want to put
> temporary electric fencing around the boundaries of the area to be browsed,
> to keep the peace.

There are a lot of urban places where the fencing is already in place, electrified or just tall. Around the edges of the Bay Area, in the semi-rural parts, you'll see signs saying "Se venden chivos" more often than "we sell goats/goats sold here".

A side effect of nanny goats chomping on poison oak is that their milk can be sold to help some folks with allergies--vague memory here, but if it's correct, then you're able to sell two "products" for the same amount of goat-time.

> Me, I wouldn't have a lawn in the first place, but a patio with large potted
> plants (OB Bujold "Paladin of Souls") or maybe a cottage garden.

I don't want much lawn at all--I want orchard & kitchen garden & rose (aside from those in the previous areas) space.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
❦ A man at work, making something which he feels will exist because he is working at it and wills it, is exercising the energies of his mind and soul as well as of his body. Memory and imagination help him as he works.  ❧ William Morris❦