[LMB] Beta Colony's lasting technology

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 4 07:10:09 BST 2013

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 05:44:05AM -0600, Howard Brazee wrote:
> Beta Colony was leading edge before the Quaddies, and kept that edge for centuries.    That duration is extraordinary, especially when there are lots of rich planets wanting that edge for themselves.   I wonder how they kept it.

The intended answer seems completely obvious.  They maximize human
potential and its realization from conception onward, to a unique
degree, and they invest heavily in research.  Everyone's gene cleaned,
with top pre-natal care and free education, scientist-explorers are a
social elite, logic and egalitarianism and utilitarianism seem ingrained
in the culture.

Those aren't easy edges to imitate.  Either they're intrinsically hard,
or they're 'easy' but politically difficult because it means someone
giving up wealth or power for long term global gain.

Also we don't know their relative population size.  On the one hand the
planet is hostile and modern tunneling is expensive, on the other they're
the oldest colony in existence by two centuries, which is a nice head
start.

-xx- Damien X-)