[LMB] AKICOTL, Norteno Cooking - Hot Chocolate

Sue Pittak sukiyaki531 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 14:13:57 BST 2013

>From: "Paula Lieberman"
I'm interested in a recipe for tortilla soup, too.

Seems to be very popular! I'll add you to the list.

As for hot chocolate, I haven't seen the brand you mentioned. What has
become ubiquitous the past few years is La Abuelita (it means 'granny') hot
chocolate disks. About 3.25 oz. You can either plop the whole disk (they
come in a six pack) into 4 cups of very hot milk, or break into sections
proportionately. They contain dark chocolate, sugar and cinnamon. OK in a
pinch, but I'm fussy about cinnamon - most packaged drink mixes of all
kinds have a bit too much for my taste. So I like to make my own. Also,
traditional Mexican hot chocolate has finely ground almonds, which I like
the flavor of.

You might try this. It's easy, with easily available ingredients, and
allows for adding or subtracting ingredients to taste,

3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, cut up (you could use chips in a pinch)

1 Tbsp. sugar

1/4 Tsp. ground cinnamon

1/8 Tsp. cayenne pepper

4 cups milk

1/2 Tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 Tsp. almond extract

In a blender or food processor, combine chocolate, sugar, cinnamon, and
cayenne. Cover and blend/process until finely ground.

In a saucepan, combine the above ingredients and the milk. Cook and stir
over low heat until the chocolate melts, about 10 minutes. Remove from the
heat and stir in vanilla and almond extracts.

Beat mixture in the pan with a rotary beater, whisk, or molinillo (wooden
Mexican beater) until frothy. Top with whipped cream, additional cinnamon
and/or cayenne if desired. Makes 4 8 oz. servings.

Or several big mugs! Or cut it half if you don't want that much. Just be
sure to watch the milk carefully - you don't want to have to clean up the
mess if it boils over! Low and slow is the trick. Personally, I often leave
out the cinnamon entirely or use part of a cinnamon stick while the  milk
is simmering.  It's much more subtle. Like I said, it's very adaptable to
individual tastes.

Oh, and depending on the milkfat percentage you're using, you may or may
not get a lot of froth. Obviously, whole milk will froth a lot more than
than 1%.

Sue