[LMB] Amazing (ly ignorant) Stories

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 17:41:37 BST 2013

I think the difference is that so much of the genre "Romance" is porn -
sexual porn, or emotional porn.  Not that there's anything wrong with that
as such.

Ms. Bujold's books are about (to varying degrees) romantic relationships,
with all of the complications they entail, within broader contexts such as
alternate societies, theologies, and so forth.  They're not pornographic...
although bits of the Sharing Knife series come pretty close to being
extremely tasteful and inexplicit porn.  I tend to have to skip
paragraphs.  But even then it's more in the service of story than for its
own sake.  It's all a matter of what makes individuals tingly, I suppose.

Matt G.