[LMB] School Is no Place for a Reader OT:

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Fri Sep 6 04:46:56 BST 2013

On Sep 4, 2013, at 9:26 AM, Pat Mathews wrote:

> One reason the Greeks had such plays and great dramatists was that there were contests and prizes for plays, just as there were for athletics. To take the crown at the Dionysia was as great an honor as taking one for the footrace or the javelin throw.

And, of course, what we have is a very select group of works. Anything from that period had to be copied by hand every generation for 2 thousand+ years and not be written over. Yes they did recover that work of  Archimedes Palimpsest down a few levels, but that is very rare and very dependent on modern technology, and was a much later document.