[LMB] Quaddie brains

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Sep 7 17:41:01 BST 2013

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 09:32:21AM -0500, Eric Oppen wrote:

> I've seen pictures of people who were either born without arms or
> lost them both very young who were able to do all sorts of
> incredible things with just their legs.  I'd say that the quaddies
> sound quite plausible.

The objection wasn't to humans doing things with their 'legs', it was
wondering whether we have enough brain to have *four hands* without
losing something else.  People without arms adapting to use their legs
don't address that, probably their leg-brain just spreads into the
arm/hand-brain area.

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 06:04:08AM -0600, Howard Brazee wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2013, at 6:58 PM, Walter Bushell <proto at panix.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering how hard the Quaddies can be. It seems difficult to give them sufficient brain power to handle (as it were) two additional hands given the amount of brain area occupied in the standard human brain coordinating the two hands we have.
>
> How hard is it for monkeys to do the same thing?

I mentioned primates myself, but OTOH their hands may not be as precise
as ours.  I remember reading as a kid about the human precision grip,
whereas chimps only had a power grip, or (checking wikipedia) more
restricted precision grips.  Human hands and what we can do with them
are pretty special.

-xx- Damien X-)