[LMB] Games & Sports

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Sun Sep 8 02:49:49 BST 2013

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 05:28:14PM -0700, Damien Sullivan wrote:
> > Modern chess is the survivor of a long and wildly branching lineage of
> > similar games - whose initial purpose was to improve battlefield strategy.
>
> It's a survivor, not the only one.  There's also Chinese chess and
> shogi, plus all the variants of Western chess itself.
>
> Stratego is descended from various Chinese board games, though the
> hidden information aspect may be original to it.
>
> Then there's new games, like Arimaa, designed to be computer-resistant.

I suspect, given Miles' thoughts in _The Vor Game_ about tacti-go (quoting
Aral to the effect that it doesn't do nearly enough to replicate the
random excretion-in-air-circulation-device that real combat has) that
if chess has survived on Barrayar -- and I could argue that one both
ways -- that neither Aral nor Miles spent much time playing with such
a relatively formal and abstract combat simulation.

Tony Z

--
The common word exact without vulgarity,
The formal word precise but not pedantic.

--T.S. Eliot, The Four Quartets