[LMB] word for it - found! [zeugma examples]

Paul Durrant paul at durrant.co.uk
Sun Sep 8 10:11:48 BST 2013

On 8 Sep 2013, at 03:36, Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:
> LMB: Yes! Thanks!
>
> Looking up a word when one can't remember the word present insurmountable challenges some days, and playing aphasia charades with my son on this one would have been futile. Much better.

Michael Flanders was particularly good at these, as demonstrated in "Have Some Maderia, M'dear":

"And he said as he hastened to put out the cat,
The wine, his cigar and the lamps:"

[…]

"She lowered her standards by raising her glass,
Her courage, her eyes and his hopes."

[…]

"When he asked "What in Heaven?" she made no reply,
Up her mind, and a dash for the door."