[LMB] OT: sleep remedies

Hilary Powers hilary at powersedit.com
Mon Sep 9 05:05:07 BST 2013

On 9/8/2013 6:55 PM, Gwynne Powell wrote:
>>> A nice hot water bottle is fantastic (a hottie is good for so many things.)
>>
>> So it is - I used to swear by mine till the night it gave way and let
>> the water out. Swearing AT is not nearly so satisfactory.
>
> They have to be replaced every year. The rubber perishes over
> time, especially when they stay stored away for months at a time.
> And don't overfill them (I have to watch out for that!)  Swearing
> helps, too. A bit.

Mine - a lovely ribbed bag I picked up in Australia - lasted about a
decade, so it was doing very well on that score. I always figured that
filling it with near-boiling water from a kettle was what finally did
for it.

>> These I use a microwavable bean bag for nights I know I'm going to need
>> something, and keep a heating pad in easy reach for the times leg cramps
>> wake me up.
>
> Oh no - please don't use a microwaveable bag in bed. Ever. We've
> had a lot of safety warnings about that, after a few of them set the
> beds on fire. And older ones are particularly dangerous.

Good lord - I never heard that.... But surely the length of time in the
microwave makes a big difference there....

--
-       Hilary Powers - hilary at powersedit.com - Oakland CA        -
-        Freelance copyediting and developmental editing          -