[LMB] OT: Owl or Lark? was sleep remedies

mmegaera at nwlink.com mmegaera at nwlink.com
Tue Sep 10 00:42:05 BST 2013

Howard:
> I was allowed to pretty much pick my hours.    Working early let me play
> golf later.

> One job I had encouraged off-hours, as we had customers in a wide variety
> of time zones.

You *do* realize how unusual that is, and how it's colored your opinion of
DST, don't you?  At least now I see the point of view you're arguing from,
but criminy.  Would you still be thinking the same way if your employer had
been unyielding about "you come in at this particular time and you leave at
that particular time" with no flexibility whatsoever for your entire adult
life?

> Still, if we really want to save daylight, we shouldn't sleep through it.
> There was a claim that DST saves energy, but that claim was disproved as
> some states switched to it.

True.  But if an employer insists on certain work hours, as most do, then
there's not much to be done about one's sleep hours outside of a fairly
narrow limit.

I've worked all sorts of different hours and shifts (everything from 6
am-2:30 pm -- ye godlings, was that one awful -- to 12 noon-9pm, which was
probably my favorite) in the last thirty-odd years, but only since starting
my own business three years ago have I been able to set my own schedule.

Megaera